Monday, November 12, 2007

We're surrounded!


Disregard academia's finest architecture in the foreground, but notice how the hill/mountain is looming in the background. They are in the background of practically every location in town and I'm 80% certain they are Appalachians. When I first arrived, I'd be doing a perfunctory check in my rear-view mirror and do a double take. For the first half second, I always thought it was a thunderstorm approaching. I guess WI and MN didn't train me well to expect a landscape with altitude. Maybe it was wishful thinking--I do love those thunderstorms and hope for lots in the spring!

Anyway, our camera doesn't zoom well enough to show the colors. But the hills were indeed alive with color this fall--probably the sound of music as well, but we were probably building forts and missed that one.

P.S. The architecture here really is lovely. A mixture of stuff from the U of M with East Coast influences. There are usually too many trees to show the mountains well.

No comments: