Tuesday, November 27, 2007

35W Bridge

This post will be a bit of a downer, if you are interested. But, in response to the 35W bridge collapsing back in August, the Minneapolis local paper created an engrossing interactive tracking almost every car and its correlated riders. It's cathartic for someone like me, and countless others in the Twin Cities community I'm sure, who have crossed that bridge no less than 10,000 times and thought that day, "I could've been there too." 35W is a main artery for Minneapolis and is extremely close to the University of Minnesota and downtown. Though I am saddened that people died, I am so grateful so many walked away with relatively minor injuries--not to mention of course that everyone I know was not near the bridge at that time.

http://www.startribune.com/projects/bridge/

And if you are curious about the construction, MNDOT has a section devoted to the replacement project. A lot of photos from the fall as well.

No comments: