Sunday, September 14, 2008

This weekend was so nice and relaxing. No commitments. Last weekend was a little crazy--we had too many parties to go to (a nice problem to have) but only having one this weekend is so wonderful.

I haven't toted my camera around lately, so here's one from July. We went to a little river with friends. Their little girl, Yerin, is in the background on the right. Roughly the same age as Anja.


Funny story: One evening about a month ago, I stopped by Yerin's house to see how her mom, Hyunjong, was doing. Hyunjong is really sweet, smart, sharp, and fun to talk with and I've enjoyed getting to know her. She was past her due date and pretty sick of being pregnant. So I thought I'd pop in, say something cheery and see if she liked lasagna after she delivers and gets back from the hospital. (Yes, of course!) It turned out that she had been having contractions about 10 minutes apart. Real labor, but not soon enough to go anywhere. So she and I talked. I kept saying, "Gee, well I should go," but she wanted me to stay to take the focus away from the labor. It's pretty cool to say, we had a really great conversation and laughed about international politics, culture, etc while we charted her minutes.
So, the next morning her car was gone. I was sure they were at the hospital. Two days later, I saw her husband and asked how things went that night. He said, "Well, our hot water heater (on the second floor) leaked all over the house that night, soaked the wall in the living room." Then I realized, their water broke around the same time her water broke. He shook his head yes and we both bent over laughing. But, that's not all. Her baby was delivered 6 minutes after they arrived at the hospital. 6! I joked how she almost delivered in the car! I guess Hyunjong talked with me, putting off going to the hospital a little too long.
Anyway, the pic I posted is the last time we did something with them. Their life has changed dramatically for a little while.

No comments: